Thursday, July 31, 2014

Kirkpatrick family connections to the world

Posted by Dawn-Ann on October 15, 2008

Me at Closeburn Castle, which is still occupied by Kirkpatricks! Technically, I think I was trespassing onto a personal driveway, but we just took quick pictures and left.

I have been tracing my family tree and on a recent trip to Scotland managed to gather scads of material that I still need to sift through and enter into my database. However, there is a gap between our Kirkpatricks and the lords and knights of old. I think I have found the missing link, but it still needs some verification – hopefully I’ll find that in the above-mentioned scads of material.

If my links are sound and we really are descended from the Kirkpatricks of old (a probability, as there weren’t a lot of them back then and theoretically we are ALL descended from them), then that also ties us in to a couple of royal lines. For instance, Euphemia de Bruce of the royal Bruce line of Scotland, married Ivone Kirkpatrick back in the 1200′s sometime. As well, Lady Margaret de Sommerville, who was a daughter of the Royal House of Stuarts, married Sir Roger Kirkpatrick in about 1508.

The Kirkpatrick motto on the last standing wall of the old Closeburn church.

My trip was full of happy coincidences and at least once I said aloud, “These Kirkpatricks want their story told.” Maybe I’m just the gal to do it.

Comments

20 Responses to “Kirkpatrick family connections to the world”
  1. Carol Kolb says:

What does the inscription under the motto say? Thanks, Carol Kolb gc3733@aol.com

2. Dawn-Ann says:

Hi Carol. According to a publication I bought at the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society, it says:
    “In loving memory of William Kirkpatrick born at Dundrennan, Kirkcudbrightshire 20 February 1817, died at his residence Dundrennan House, Wallsall, Staffordshire 4 December 1887 during the second year of his Mayoralty —– where every inhabitant mourned his loss. (Mural above inscription panel) has Kirkpatrick coat of arms with motto I Mak Siccar.”

3. keith kirkpatrick says:

Dawn, I found a post on ancestry.com and this post was from a Dawn looking for a Bernard Kirkpatrick from Nova Scotia. Might you be the Dawn that made this post?

4. Dawn-Ann says:

No, I don’t think that was me, Keith, but I am intrigued by my eastern Canadian cousins. I don’t know anything about them yet but I know we must be connected. Are you from that branch?

5. Kirk Brown says:

Dawn-Ann,
    I found your web pages by doing a Google search using: “Wallaces House, Kirkmichael, Dumfriesshire, Scotland”. This was the birthplace of Alexander Kirkpatrick, a distant relative of mine.

Here’s a link to Kirkpatrick information that may interest you. I’m listed in the 9th Generation pages.

I don’t have the resources (time mostly) to research family history, but I’d be interested to know if you someday happen to find a link.

Regards,
    Kirk

6. Dawn-Ann says:

Thanks Kirk, but I don’t see that link. I wish you good luck on your search, though! :)

7. Douglas Kirkpatrick says:

H, Dawn-Ann and others,
    I too have been to the Closeburn Church, Dumfries, etc, but the main research problem (for me at least) isn’t what happened in Scotland but what transpired in Ulster (Northern Ireland.) My Kirkpatrick ancestors emigrated to Pennsylvania circa 1730 from Ulster but before that all genealogical data on Kirkpatricks is a black hole due to a fire in the Irish Public Records House in 1922! I presume my ancestors came over from Scotland in the late 1600′s, stayed for a generation or two and then emigrated to America in 1730 but who knows?
    BTW which Kirkpatrick branch is yours? (New Jersey, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, etc)
    Good luck.

Doug K

8. Dawn-Ann says:

Hi Doug! I am descended from James “The Immigrant” (as I call him), who came to South Carolina about 1736. I suspect there is some Irish history in my tree, as well, but I have not yet been able to find the “missing link” between ol’ James and Scotland/Ireland. So nice to meet you, cousin! :)

9. Douglas Kirkpatrick says:

Hi, Dawn-Ann,

BTW are you familiar with the James Kilpatrick of South Carolina who, circa 1736, was the first doctor in America to use vaccination to prevent small-pox? Was he “your” James Kil/Kirk of SC?

Doug K

10. Dawn-Ann says:

I don’t know for sure, but the timing sure is right! I haven’t had time to investigate James’ history too much yet. Can’t wait until I retire!

11. Mickie Sue says:

Dear Dawn-Ann,
    My grandma is a Kirkpatrick, and a young 81. She is the oldest of 10 children. I have traced her family back 5 or 6 generations to Joseph Kirkpatrick (1838 to 1915). My grandma is from Baxter Springs, Kansas. I am not sure where the other generation came from, but would appreciate any help pointing me in the right direction. Good luck with your search.

Mickie Sue

12. Dawn-Ann says:

Hi Mickie Sue. Could you please elaborate with more details? I don’t think I have any of your Kirkpatricks in my database but I do have one Joseph Kirkpatrick from about that time frame. He was born in Maryland and Died in Ohio. I don’t have birth/death dates for him, though. If you could give me more details about what you’re looking for I’ll do my best to help!

13. Hi Dawn-Ann, first of all congratulations for your blog, it has lots of information. I was looking for details about the Kirkàtricks of Closeburn and I´ve found your picture in the Castle, could I have your authoritation for publish it and label you on it? Thanks

14. Dawn-Ann says:

Hi there, closeburncastle. I believe in sharing information, so please feel free to share my picture. If you can link it back to my blog, so much the better.

Also, I have a Facebook presence here: https://www.facebook.com/dawnann7

Thanks! :)

15. Kylie says:

Since you’re looking into family history, this site may prove useful: http://www.jpkirkpatrick.com/Kirkpatrick/AlexanderKPDesc/b527.htm#P235 unless you’ve already seen it… Not all of the info has matched information I have from my grandmother (9th gen) but it has still given things to research. I’d actually be in the 11th generation on the site, but am not (yet) listed. Please feel free to contact me.

Kylie

16. Dawn-Ann says:

Thanks Kylie! Yes, I have used JP’s site for a lot of my information, though I am also aware that the details may not always be accurate.

17. Starla Kirkpatrick says:

Hi. Love reading the information.

Starla
    Cypress Mill, TX

18. Heather Kirkpatrick says:

I find your research amazing. There is an old Kirkpatrick tale passed down through the generations claiming the Kirkpatrick’s were originally from Scotland and either fled or were banished after betraying The Bruce.This is when they migrated to Ireland. It is said that this is why our crest is a hand holding a bloody dagger. As I said it is a family legend, so not sure how accurate it is. My Kirkpatrick relations are mostly in Michigan now, but maybe you’ll find this information interesting.

19. Dawn-Ann says:

Hi Heather. Thank you for commenting!

The truth is that The Bruce actually gave us our coat of arms after Sir Roger helped Bruce gain the throne. The move to Ireland (which is probably where the Kirkpatricks first came from in very ancient times) came several hundred years later. Here is a bit more about the story for your reading pleasure! :)

Dawn

20. Dawn-Ann says:

Glad you are enjoying my little blog, Starla. Thank you for commenting!

Dawn

Leave a comment, and if you'd like your own picture to show up next to your comments, go get a gravatar!

home | top